CREDIT : 3 CREDITS
This course discusses current concepts, terms and applications of biosensor technology. This course integrates knowledge from various fields such as genetic engineering, immuno techniques and protein engineering for the production of biosensor devices in multitude of applications such as medical, food analysis, clinical diagnostics and environmental monitoring. The course also focuses on the classification and the principles of the various types of biosensors, various measurements involved, biological materials or bioreceptors, transducer descriptions, biosensor characteristics and their recent applications.
1. Classify the components of a biosensor and differentiate methods for immobilization that can be used for surface derivatisation.
2. Relate the application of biosensor in industry.
3. Compare and contrast the principle and appications of biosensors
4. Design a hypothetical biosensor device which can be used in a related field based on the fundamental knowledge learned in biosensor technology.
5. Discuss related ethical issues in biosensor technology including rules and regulation as well as impact to human and environment.
6. Demonstrate the new desinged hypothetical biosensor in related applications